From the Secretary

Newsletter Issue: 
Volume 37 no. 3 September 2017
Jeannette Ho

Minutes of the OLAC Executive Board Meeting

ALA Annual Conference

Hyatt Regency Chicago, Columbus IJ

Chicago, Illinois

Friday, June 23, 2017

4:15-5:15

 

Present: Annie Glerum, Autumn Faulkner, Bruce Evans, Jeremy Myntti, Marcia Barrett, Stacie Traill,

Jeannette Ho, Matt Burrell, Jay Weitz, Mary Huismann

Started at 4:30 pm

  • Officer Reports:  •    President’s report (Annie Glerum): o OLAC Executive Board Accomplishments
    • Successfully planned OLAC Conference 2017 - Stacie, Marcia, Autumn
    • OLAC-MOUG merger discussion - Jeremy, Bruce
    • Unified/Mega Best Practices Task Force for inclusion into RDA Toolkit - Bruce, Annie
    • Membership dues increase - Autumn, Annie
    • Continued development and migration of content for the new OLAC website - Matt, Stacie, Annie
    • OLAC member presentations list for next newsletter - Annie, Jeremy, Marcia
    • OLAC Handbook/Bylaws update - Jeannette, Annie
    • Ribbons for ALA Annual 2017! - Marcia, Autumn

 

Annie asked if anything should be added to the list.  No suggestions were made.

 

  • Unfinished business
    • New Board position for Conferences and Continuing Education Coordinator—See Board minutes from the December 2016 Newsletter

 

Annie said that she hoped that Jeremy would continue discussions on the above topic as the new OLAC President for the upcoming year.  Stacie said that she will draft a position description for the Conferences and Continuing Education Coordinator.  It has not yet been determined how this position will relate to the duties of other Board positions.  For instance, it may overlap with some of the responsibilities of the Web Developer, Newsletter Editor, and Outreach/Advocacy Coordinator.  More clarification will be needed before the Board can move forward with this position.

 

  • Modernizing our name — perhaps “OLAC Cataloger’s Network”? Maybe a survey to the membership?

 

One Board member asked whether it would be legal to call the organization the “OLAC Cataloger’s Network” while maintaining “OLAC” as a public name on our website and publications.  It was also remarked that “OLAC” is a known brand that has come to mean something to people, so it would be good to find a way to maintain this acronym.  It was suggested that the Board wait until the question of the OLAC-MOUG merger is settled before we consider whether to modernize the name.

 

  • Vice President/President Elect’s report (Jeremy Myntti):  o OLAC/MOUG merger white paper

 

The MOUG Executive Board met in February and discussed the potential merging of

OLAC and MOUG into a single organization.  The majority of the feedback from MOUG members were negative.  Jeremy will compile all of the feedback on the potential merger.  It should be available within a few weeks.  Even if we ended not merging the organizations, it was mentioned that it would still be good to find other ways to collaborate with MOUG.

 

  • OLAC member presentations list for next newsletter

 

We have a list of 13 presentations so far by OLAC members at this conference.  If Board members were aware of any others, they should contact Jeremy or Marcia so that they can also be included in the next issue of the newsletter

 

•     Treasurer’s report (Autumn Faulkner): o Membership rate implementation date

 

The new membership rates will go into effect on October 1st.

 

o F17 report & projected FY18 budget

 

Autumn said that the fourth quarter report that she presented at the Membership meeting is preliminary and that the quarter actually ends on June 30th.  According to the report, OLAC has 234 personal members and 29 institutional members or a total of 263 members.  The start date for the new membership rates to take effect,  October 1st, will coincide with the busiest period of renewals of the year.  The majority of renewals take place every year in November, December and January.  The renewed memberships at the new rates should help correct the downward trend OLAC has experienced in recent years concerning its deficit.  It is projected that we should have a $3,000 to $4,000 surplus next year.

 

Autumn will show Debra Spidal, the incoming Treasurer, how to set up Wild Apricot, the new software that will be used for budgeting.  She will also continue to work with Kay Johnson on registrations for the upcoming OLAC Conference until Debra is ready to step in this role.

 

Incoming treasurers typically have had one year to get settled into their new roles before taking over duties related to OLAC conferences.  A question was asked whether we need to change this, as the next OLAC Conference is coming up within the next few months.  The new Treasurer will either have a short time to transition to her new role or wait a longer time than usual before planning for the next conference begins.  Since the Treasurer is an elected position, it is not clear whether this can be adjusted.   

 

Autumn suggested that the “stipends and fees” section of the Handbook be revised to include the Web Developer.   She also suggested that OLAC Production Editor be removed, since this position had to do with production of the print version of the newsletter, which was discontinued years ago.

 

Documentation related to the position of OLAC Treasurer has been put on Google Drive.

 

                        •    Secretary’s report (Jeannette Ho):

o Handbook revision

 

Jeannette sent an updated roster of Board members and OLAC appointees, representatives and liaisons prior to the conference with names and contact information for the 2017-2018 year.   Hayley Moreno, the incoming Outreach/Advocacy Coordinator, Debra Spidal, the incoming Treasurer, and Mary Huismann, the incoming Vice President/President-Elect have been added to the roster for Board members.  Jeannette has also made some corrections she received via email.  A suggestion had been made to add email addresses for people where this was missing. Jeannette will track down as many as she can find and add them.  In addition, Stacie will be added as the chair of the OLAC Conference Scholarship Committee. 

 

Last year, a former OLAC Secretary (Scott Dutkiewicz) sent her some updates to the OLAC Handbook, incorporating Bylaws changes that had passed in 2014 but had not yet been incorporated into the Handbook at the time.  Jeannette had confirmed these changes with him and shared them with the Board last November, and again before the Annual Conference, when she noticed that the

OLAC website had not yet been updated to reflect them.  According to Matt

Burrell, the Web Developer, these changes have now been made.  If one clicks

on the link to the “Bylaws” in the Handbook, one should now see the latest version of the Bylaws (last revised in April 2015.

 

When Jennifer Eustis, the previous Secretary passed on documentation related to this position at the end of her term, she suggested that the Board review suggested wording from the Web Steering Committee and see if any updates needed to be considered for this Committee’s section or for other parts of the Handbook for the sake of consistency.  Jeannette passed out revised wording for the “OLAC Website Steering Committee” section of the Handbook that would be consistent with the wording in the revised OLAC Bylaws:

 

“The OLAC Website Steering Committee shall be made up of no more than five volunteers serving on a rotating basis so that there is ongoing continuity with the duties and activities of the Committee.  Members shall be the Web Developer (chair), the Past President, the Outreach-Advocacy Coordinator, and two other members.  The other members serve either a two or one year term on a rotating basis.  The Past President will be responsible for seeking volunteers and making appointments to the committee.”

 

The Board members discussed whether it was sufficient to have five members, and whether the wording should be revised to say “at least five members,” in case there was a need for more members.  A question was also raised as to what role the proposed position of Web Content Manager would have in relation to this committee.  These two potential changes would affect the Bylaws and would need to be voted on by the OLAC membership.  It was decided to hold off on addressing these questions until a decision has been made regarding whether to approve the Web Content Manager position.

 

The Board has been reviewing changes to the Handbook on Google Docs for some time.  The Board agreed that there should be a deadline to review it and make comments.  A deadline of September 1st was agreed on.  In this way, suggestions for changes can be discussed at a virtual meeting in the fall and finalized by Midwinter.  

 

  • Outreach/Advocacy report (Jeremy Myntti):

o Wrote Outreach report for Hayley (including social media passwords)

 

Jeremy has shared information with Hayley about what others have done in this position.  He has passed on all social media (e.g., Facebook and Twitter) accounts.

 

  • Newsletter Editor’s report (Marcia Barrett):

 

Marcia is preparing the September issue of the newsletter.  She will send information about it in mid-July.  She asked who will write an article on the membership dues increase.  Jeremy, the incoming OLAC President, volunteered to do this.  He will also send a message about this to the OLAC-L list.  Autumn volunteered to draft a message.

 

Marcia also invited Board members to make suggestions for people to feature in the “In the Spotlight” column.  

 o Committee Reports

  • Election Committee (Marcia Barrett)

 

One hundred twenty-six members voted in this year’s election.  Mary Huismann was elected Vice President/President-elect and Debra Spidal was elected Treasurer.  

 

Marcia said that she found it helpful when the minutes of OLAC meetings include lists of attendees.  This helped her identify people that she may not have previously been aware of who might be willing to run for office. 

 

  • Web Steering Committee report (Matt Burrell):

 

The current usage statistics for the OLAC website are comparable to the ones for last year.

 

The average time spent on any section of the website was one minute and 22 seconds last year.  This year, it was one minute and one second.

 

The ranking of the most popular sections of the website are the same as last year.  The most popular section was the one on “Publications and Training Materials.”  This was followed by: “Online Resources for AV Catalogers”, the OLAC 2017 Conference website, the current OLAC newsletter, and “Archived Newsletters.”

 

Matt welcomed Annie to the Web Steering Committee as Past President.

 

The OLAC website is being redesigned to be more flexible and dynamic. In this approach, files stored in Drupal would be re-configured so that each web page would function as a digital object. When a user clicks a link (e.g., to all documents tagged “Best Practice”), he or she would be sent to a webpage that would be dynamically generated “on the fly”, containing all documents relevant to his or her search.  Users will also be able to filter searches, such as requesting that only documents with RDA-related content, workshop presentations, etc. be returned.  In this way, navigation of the website should be improved.  Each web document “object” would contain its own metadata, such as author, date created, document type, number of pages, file size, and links to PDF files.  

 

The Web Steering Committee will need to review 350 content objects for migration to the new website.  They have divided this task among Committee members, who will try to have this done by Midwinter.  During this process, they are discovering old presentations in obsolete formats that can no longer be read and will need to be converted to PDF files.

 

Bruce will need to wait until the changes to the website have been made before he can  continue the project to re-label and categorize the resources on the “Publications and               Training” materials section.  Annie will help with this.

 

o CAPC report (Bruce Evans):

 

Thomas Whittaker has rolled off his term as a CAPC member.  Rosemary Groenwald and Julie Moore have been reappointed as members.  Yoko Kudo has been reappointed as an intern.  Amanda Scott’s status has been changed from intern to a full member, and Melissa Burrell has been appointed as a new intern.

Board members agreed that the chair of CAPC should serve more than a year.  The term of this position should at least be two years, since this would help improve continuity.

Bruce plans to hold a conference call with Matt and Richard to discuss the website.  When Matt finishes a paper on plans for the website, Bruce will decide upon the next steps for updating pages in the “Cataloging Resources” portion of the website.  

Bruce sent a chronology of activities that were undertaken in the past concerning the AV glossary project.  The purpose of this project appears to have morphed somewhat from its original vision.  More clarification is needed regarding the project’s purpose before it can move forward.  In addition, the Music Library Association (MLA) is examining RDA for places that lack controlled vocabularies (e.g., playing speed, encoding format), and their work may also affect the direction the project takes.  The original draft is probably not needed to continue this project.  It can be started fresh with a new purpose.

  • Nancy B. Olson Award (Stacie Traill)

 

There will be no award this year. No nominations were received for the Nancy B. Olson Award yet.  Stacie encouraged Board members to start thinking about who can be nominated for next year.

 

  • OLAC Research Grant (Jeremy Myntti)

 

No applications were received for the grant this year.  As past winners typically present at OLAC Conferences, Stacie will contact them to see if they can present at our next conference, or if not, if someone can present for them.

 

  • Conference Planning (Stacie Traill for Kay Johnson)

 

Autumn has been working with this committee and with Matt to implement registration for the upcoming OLAC Conference on its website.  A registration form in Wild Apricot will be created and then linked to the registration page.  

 

Stacie has been recruiting speakers for workshops during the last several weeks.  The committee has also been brainstorming potential workshop topics and speakers.  

 

In addition to workshops, there will be poster presentations, a linked data project panel, and a collaborative problem-solving round table, which will resemble the “Birds of a Feather” sessions at past conferences, but be more focused, with each discussion facilitator preparing a specific problem in advance.   Stacie will send out a call for linked data panelists during the week of July 4th, as well as a call for discussion facilitators for the round table.

 

                                                The following people have agreed to present workshops: o Jay Weitz (Basic and Advanced Video) o Amber Billey (BIBRAME/linked data) o Paige Andrew (Basic and Advanced Cartographic)

  • Jessica Schomberg/Jenny Turner (Inclusive/Accessible Documentation) o Mary Huismann (Basic and Advanced Sound Recordings)

 

Stacie is still looking for people to present the workshops on three-dimensional objects and video games.   She will send invitations to potential presenters next week. She has been told that Rachel Jaffe would be willing to present the workshop on video games.  Meanwhile Greta de Groat, who will not be able to come to the conference, has agreed to serve as a consultant.   In the meantime, the OLAC conference still lacks a keynote speaker.  Stacie would like to have one confirmed by mid-July.  It was suggested that someone from OCLC Research might be willing to give the keynote speech.

 

The Conference Scholarship Committee has received 11 applications.  The deadline to apply for the scholarship to travel to the OLAC Conference is Monday, the 26th.  The Scholarship Committee will meet virtually on Friday, the 30th, to select the winner.

 

 

  • Discussion o Approval of Handbook Revisions (Jeannette)

                                        §    Includes updates to Handbook language for stipends

 

It was decided during the meeting to move the discussion about handbook updates under the Secretary’s report.  Please see that section, as well as the Treasurer’s report for a related discussion on updating the stipends section of the Handbook.

 

 

 

Adjourned at 4:30 pm 

 

 

 

 

 

 

OLAC CAPC Meeting

ALA Annual Meeting

Hyatt Regency Chicago, Skyway 260

Chicago, IL

Friday, January 23, 2017

 

Present: Bruce Evans (chair), Rosemary Groenwald, Julie Renee Moore, Thomas Whittaker, Jessica Schomberg, Yoko Kudo, Catherine Gerhart, Janis Young, Jay Weitz

Others attending: Kate Leigh, Richard N. Leigh, Netanel Ganin, Bryan Baldus, Trina Soderquist,

Sarah Horde, Mary Huismann, Marcia Barrett, Karen Anderson, Thomas Dukleth Annie Glerum, Jeremy Myntti, Stacie Traill, Jeannette Ho

Absent: Scott Dutkiewicz, Teressa Keenan, Amanda Scott, Kelley McGrath, Peter Lisius, Karen

Peters, Greta DeGroat, Robert Freeborn, Liz Miller, Jan Mayo, Heylicken (Hayley) Moreno

Started at 7:30 pm o Welcome and Introductions (Bruce Evans):

Bruce welcomed meeting attendees and introduced the agenda.   o Approval of minutes from meeting at ALA Midwinter 2017: 

The minutes were approved. o Announcements:

Bruce announced changes in composition to CAPC: Thomas Whittaker has rolled off his term as a CAPC member.  Rosemary Groenwald and Julie Moore have been reappointed as members.  Yoko Kudo has been reappointed as an intern.  Amanda Scott’s status has been changed from intern to a full member, and Melissa Burrell has been appointed as a new intern. o Reports:

Liaison Reports

  • CC:DA Report (Bruce for Kelley McGrath):

Attendees were reminded that the RDA Toolkit has been frozen until the conclusion of the “3R Project” in April of 2018.  In the meantime, IFLA has completed a final version of the draft of the LRM model, which should be approved soon.

The CC:DA meeting on the Monday morning of January 26th has been cancelled.  Instead of a CC:DA meeting, the RDA Steering Committee (RSC) will use this time slot to meet with representatives of specialist cataloging communities to listen to their concerns about issues needing to be addressed within RDA.   

  • MAC Report (Catherine Gerhart):

Meeting agenda for MAC is available here. 

MARC Proposal no. 2017-08 proposes the use of subfields $0 and $1 to capture URIs in a manner that would differentiate between: o URIs that identify a “Record” or “Authority” entity describing a

Thing and, o URIs that directly identify a Thing itself (e.g., a “real world object” or “RWO”)

 

The $0 would be used for URIs and control numbers that refer to records describing things, and the $1 would be used for URIs that directly represent the thing itself.

 

MARC Proposal no. 2017-09 proposes establishing a new field 758 to record identifiers for related resources.  It was commented that this field could potentially be used to record OCLC record numbers, which would be useful when the data becomes mapped to BIBFRAME in a linked data environment.

 

MARC Proposal no. 2017-10 originated from OLAC.  It proposes that the definition of the 257 field be broadened to include names of entities that are not formally recognized as countries (e.g., Palestine) by certain governments or the United Nations, and yet are treated as countries of production by reference sources and award eligibility rules.  The MARC Advisory Committee (MAC) has expressed concerns about offending people who may disagree about whether a geographic area is a “country.” This proposal suggests adding a disclaimer about any designations in this field not being an expression of any opinion on whether the area is a country.  Doing so would be similar to disclaimers published by NISO.

 

MARC Proposal no. 2017-11 is a joint proposal from the Canadian Committee on Metadata Exchange (CCM) and OLAC.  It proposes options for recording the RDA element “Accessibility Content” (7.14). They include: defining a new field 341 for recording “the mode of access and accessibility features of a resource”, including primary and alternative modes of access, and features such as whether specialized devices are required, and recording a human readable note to provide more details regarding data recorded in the 341 field.

 

MARC Proposal no. 2017-12 proposes defining subfields $u, $r and $z in the 777 field to enable it to link to records for individual parts of a multipart monograph. 

This field is already used for this purpose for serials, and the CCM would like to also use it to do this for monographs.  

 

MARC Discussion Paper 2017-DP06 originated from the ALA Map and Geospatial Information Round Table (MAGIRT) and the CCM.  It proposes adding new fields for some 007 field positions to accommodate online cartographic resources.    These include adding “t-Remote” for 007/01 (Specific material designation), “xnot applicable” for 007/04 (Physical medium) and “n-not applicable” for 007/06 (Production/reproduction details).  

 

It was asked why the current best practice to record two 007 fields for streaming videos—one for the video aspect and another for the digital aspect—could not also work for digital cartographic resources.  In addition, it was commented that if the proposals in this discussion paper are implemented, the above best practice might also be impacted.

 

MARC Discussion Paper no. 2017-DP07 discusses the need for making subfield $s (Version) repeatable in the x00, x10, x11, and x30 fields, as well as for the 240 and 243 fields.  Doing so would address a situation where one is cataloging a resource that contains two different versions.  Repeating subfield $s would allow both versions to be expressed in the same field for preferred titles.

 

MARC Discussion Paper no. 2017-DP08 discusses the need to make the subfield $d repeatable in the x11 fields.  Doing so would address a situation where one may have two dates associated with a meeting, and allow both to be recorded in the same authorized access point. 

 

• LC Report (Janis Young):

The Library of Congress has published a monograph called The Card Catalog: Books, Cards and Literary Treasures. It presents an illustrated history of the card catalog from 5,000 years ago to the present, and includes 200 images of catalog cards, rare edition book covers and photographs.

LC has been migrating pre-MARC bibliographic records from standalone databases into its ILS.  In fiscal year 2016, 50,000 records were migrated. In addition, 60,000 records for musical scores that had been previously miscataloged as books were corrected.  They can now be searched and retrieved by their correct format in LC’s catalog.

A new instruction sheet for the Subject Heading Manual (H 204) called “Evaluating Subject Proposals” has been published on LC’s website. It outlines issues considered by LC when reviewing subject heading proposals.

LC has received a directive from Congress that is related to its decision last year to change the subject heading “Illegal aliens.” The Omnibus Appropriations Bill for fiscal year 2017 directs LC to make publicly available its process for changing subject headings and for allowing input from stakeholders, as well as sources used.  LC will prepare a document that will be made publicly available on the web by next summer.

LC continues to partner with the Art Libraries Society of North America

(ARLIS/NA) on developing a controlled vocabulary for art genres (the Art Genre/Form project).  The draft of the vocabulary is going through a second round of comments and is close to completion.  Janis Young anticipates that a clean draft should be submitted to her by Labor Day.  The vocabulary should be published either late this year or early next year.

A draft of the Library of Congress Medium of Performance Thesaurus for Music Manual has been published on LC’s website. Janis encouraged attendees to review the draft and provide feedback to her.  It covers various topics related to the LCMPT, including the authorized access point for such headings, the form of references in authority records, scope notes, technical steps to make proposals, and why the LCMPT exists.  In the meantime, heading proposals are welcome from the SACO community.  In the past, only SACO music funnel catalogers and LC could propose LCMPT headings due to the complex hierarchical nature of the vocabulary and specialized subject matter.  However, LC would now like to open this up to the entire SACO community.  While instruction sheets for making LCMPT proposals are available online, they are currently in draft form.  Janis encouraged attendees to use the draft manual to make proposals, and to let her know if something in it needs to be corrected.

The Library of Congress Demographic Group Terms (LCDGT) pilot is still open.  Catalogers from SACO institutions may still propose terms, but for new cataloging only and not for retrospective projects.  In the meantime, the SurveyMonkey form is still available for non-SACO librarians to participate, but Janis plans to close it since no proposals were received through it.   

A question was asked about the status of a project that OLAC had approached LC about to propose genre/form terms for video games.  Last year, LC had indicated that this project was not a priority for it to take on.  Janis replied that she has not heard any further discussion about it at the Policy and Standards Division (PSD) since before Midwinter.  

• OCLC Report (Jay Weitz):

 

Jay distributed a handout summarizing news and announcements from OCLC, and a brochure, Breaking Through, containing information about new products and reports.  

 

Some highlights from the OCLC update report include the following:

 

OCLC is hiring a Consulting Database Specialist.  Linda Gable, who has worked in this position, is retiring in August.  Jay encouraged people to apply for it.

 

The 2017 OCLC-MARC Update will be published within the next three to four months.  It will implement the MARC 21 changes announced in MARC 21 Updates No. 23 (November 2016) and No. 24 (May 2017).  They include the implementation of all MARC codes that have been defined since the last MARCOCLC update a year ago.  

 

• MOUG Liaison Report (Karen Peters):

The 2017 Annual Meeting of MOUG was held February 21-22 in Orlando, Florida.  Presentations from the meeting are available on its website. Its next conference will be held in Portland in late January, possibly on the 20th-21st.  

 

The MOUG Distinguished Service Award winner was presented to Robert Cunningham of the Boston Public Library at the Conference. He is the 14th recipient of this award.

 

The newly elected officers of the MOUG Executive Board were announced at its annual Business Meeting at the conference.  They include: Alan Ringwood (The University of Texas at Austin), Vice-Chair/Chair Elect; Jacob Schaub (Vanderbilt University), Treasurer-Elect/Treasurer; and Nara Newcomer (University of Missouri-Kansas City), Resource, Discovery, and Collection Coordinator.

Michelle Hahn (Indiana University Bloomington) was selected to fill the new position of MOUG Social Media Coordinator.

                  Subcommittee, Coordinator Reports:

  • Subcommittee on Maintenance for CAPC Resources (Richard Leigh):

This subcommittee is charged with identifying resources on the OLAC website that need updates, who performs them, how often they are performed, and with making recommendations.  

Ten web documents are currently under review.  Zero have been completed, updated or archived since Midwinter. 

The committee continues to maintain a spreadsheet of updates.  Some changes have been made to the CAPC website, and Matt and Bruce have been informed.  Richard, the chair, also had a conference call with Matt and Bruce a few weeks prior to the conference to discuss Matt’s ideas for changes to the website, outlined in a white paper.  Once the changes take place, a call will be made for volunteers to revise the content in the Cataloging Resources portion of the website.

  • NACO AV Funnel Coordinator Report (Bruce for Peter Lisius):

Peter Lisius is reviewing the work of two catalogers from the University of Alabama and the University of California-Riverside.  In addition, he has been making his own contributions.

  • RDA Standing Subgroup (Netanel Gann)

The members of this subgroup are: Natanel Ganin, Greta de Groat, Yoko Kudo and Anna Goslen.  They are tasked with ensuring that the OLAC Best Practices guides are up-to-date with revisions from the RDA Steering Committee (RSC).   The members have divided up guides to revise among themselves.  They plan to look at the DVD guide in July, followed by the streaming video guide in October and the video games guide in December.   Their goal is to have all the documents up-to-date in preparation for the large work once the 3R revisions are complete.

                      Task Force Reports

 

  • Joint MLA/OLAC Playaways RDA Best Practices (Rosemary Groenwald for Robert

Freeborn)

The group has prepared a list of questions about Playaways that they would like feedback on, in order to know how to proceed.  

The first question was “How many ‘publishers’ should we recommend to record as a best practice?”  The best practice under AACR2 was to list all three publishers, if there were that many.  Yet according to RDA, only the first publisher is required.  The group noticed that records in OCLC seem to follow the latter practice, in only transcribing “Findaway World” as the publisher.  

The second question was whether to record Extent (RDA 3.4.2.3) as “sound media player” or “Playaway.”  The group recommended either using “Playaway” as a term in common usage or leaving it up to individual cataloger’s judgment.  There was discussion about whether patrons would understand the term “sound media player” or “audio media player.”   It was also commented that Playaway is not the only vendor the produces audio media players, although Recorded Books no longer does.  It was noted that Playaway may be trademarked, and if so, there may be copyright issues with using a trademarked name in the 300 field.  For instance, LC ran into issues using trademarked names in the 6xx field.  Bluray happens to also be trademarked.

The third question related to 34x fields that have been added by the Playway firm to Playaway records in OCLC: 

                                            344 $a digital $b non-volatile flash memory $2 rda

                                            347 $a audio file $b ACELP $2 rda

The terms added in the subfield $b of these fields are not in RDA, so $2 rda should not be at the end of these fields.  There was also a concern about adding an acronym such as “ACELP” to the 347 field.  The latter is for a patented speechcoded algorithm and it was not clear how useful this information was to people.  It was also noted that such information does not appear on actual Playaway devices, and that MPEG-4 uses that standard.   It was remarked that one shouldn’t expect catalogers to add this information if it is not on the piece and that it probably doesn’t belong in this field, since it is not an encoding format.

It was commented that the Playaway firm may be willing to follow CAPC’s recommendations.  Rosemary will obtain contact information for a Playaway representative from Jay Weitz.  

The group would welcome one more volunteer.  They expect to complete their work by Midwinter. 

  • Objects Task Force (Julie Moore)

 

Members are: Scott Dutkiewicz, Jessica Schomberg, and Trina Soderquist, with Julie Moore as the chair.  They have divided up sections of the best practices document to work on.

 

  • SAC GFIS Working Group on Video Game Genre Headings (Rosemary Groenwald):

This committee is under the SAC Subcommittee on Genre/Form Implementation (GFIS) but its ideas originated within OLAC, when Catherine Gerhart led an effort to submit a white paper on the need for video game genre-form headings to the Policy and Standards Division (PSD).  LC had responded that there was a need for genre-form terms for video games, but said it could not take on this project for the foreseeable future.  Thus, OLAC decided to publish the terms as its own controlled vocabulary and include them in the Open Metadata Registry.  Since Midwinter, the group has narrowed down 300 possible genre-form terms to 75 terms.  The group’s members have also been created authority records for them, and anticipate being finished with this project by Midwinter.  Even if the terms are published as OLAC’s own vocabulary first, it may be possible for LC to incorporate them into the LCGFT in the future, if they choose to do so. o Old Business

  • Unified/Mega BP update (Bruce Evans)

At Midwinter, a project was discussed that would integrate all Best Practice documents from OLAC into a single “unified/mega” document that would bring consistency to all of the recommendations.  This guide would be linked to the RDA Toolkit, and users could apply filters to find unique instructions for a particular format.  Although RDA is being restructured, CAPC had suggested identifying areas where instructions were consistent and inconsistent.  

Bruce called for additional volunteers and would like a task force ready to begin this project in August. o New Business

  • Joint MLA/OLAC effort: 3xx Fields and OCLC-MARC Update 2017 (Evans, Weitz)

 

There will be a need to clarify the use of RDA and non-RDA terms in the 336, 337, and 338 fields, as well as the 344 and 347 fields.  Technical Notice (March 10, 2017) includes 23 additions to the Genre/Form Code and Term Source Codes list.  If the new codes are applied in MARC records each individual term would have its own genre/form source code (e.g., 336 performed music $2 rdaco; 337 audio  $2 rdamt; 338 audio disc $2 rdact).  At the same time, codes (e.g, “prm”, etc.) are not covered by the new source codes and will appear in separate 33x fields with preexisting codes (“rdacontent,” “rdamedia,” “rdacarrier”).  Thus each field would need to be repeated.

 

It was commented that our current practice of including codes (e.g., “prm”) in the same 33x fields as terms (e.g., “performed music”) is not correct, since the codes are not in RDA.  Despite this fact, LC has decided to stick to the current practice of recording both controlled terms and codes in the same 33x field, and using rdacontent, rdacarrier, and rdamedia.

 

The 34x fields also have a historical tendency to be coded incorrectly, where at the beginning, people would mix both controlled terms and uncontrolled terms in the same 34x fields and followed them with $2 (e.g. 347 text file $b PDF $2 rda).  These fields should also be broken up where uncontrolled terms (e.g., PDF) appear in their own 34x fields without the $2 rda.

 

Since this change came about, both OLAC and the MLA need to decide whether to adopt these newly defined codes as part of their best practices. Mary Huismann has volunteered to chair this effort.  The deadline for this decision will be in August.

 

There is also a desire to have the OCLC Bibliographic Formats and Standards reflect what the community decides to do.  BIBCO records will also need to be updated.  Catherine Gerhart is on the PCC Standing Committee on Training and can help ensure this gets done.

 

• Specialist Cataloging Communities Meeting on Monday, June 26, at 9:00 AM 

(Bruce Evans)

 

On Monday at nine a.m. at this conference, there will be a meeting with members of the RDA Steering Committee (RSC) and representatives from specialist cataloging communities (cartographic, AV, rare materials, etc.).  The discussion will focus on where improvements might be made in the RDA Toolkit to address the needs of special materials, such as additional elements that may be added.  Jessica Schomberg and Yoko Kudo will represent OLAC’s interests at this meeting.    

 

A handout was passed out listing issues that have been brainstormed by CAPC for this meeting.  The handout was compiled by Kelley McGrath and enhanced and revised by Jessica and Yoko.  Jessica intends to share the entire document at the RSC meeting.

 

CAPC members and attendees examined all of the issues in the handout. They especially agreed that RDA does not provide sufficient guidance for cataloging resources that are aggregates consisting of different parts, such as commercial packages consisting of DVD and Blu-ray versions of films, compact disc sets, curriculum sets with components, etc.   At the same time, kits are aggregates that do not fit into the one-to-one modeling of FRBR.  It was also agreed that the first bullet point under “Content/media/carrier” was also important (“There is no principled way to distinguish between 3D form and 3D tactile form content with the current definitions…Is it the intention that Braille and other materials for the blind are the only resources that 3-d tactile form cover? A lot of teaching materials…are intended to be touched by students, does that make them 3 tactile forms?”).  It was also agreed that it is not clear how to distinguish between publishers and distributors for commercial videos, and whether it even made sense to make this distinction, “…as there is no ‘publisher’ in mainstream video distribution.”

 

A question was asked whether the discussion would only relate to instructions in RDA or whether it would have any implications for MARC.  While it was explicitly meant to address RDA, it was also mentioned that decisions made in RDA would eventually affect MARC.

 

Attendees were encouraged to email Jessica and Yoko before the June 26th RSC meeting if they thought of any other issues that should be addressed.  It was also noted that MLA has its own list of concerns that overlap with the ones on the CAPC list.  Finally, it was mentioned that CAPC was given very short notice to compile these issues, so the list is probably incomplete. o Adjournment

Meeting adjourned at 9:10 p.m.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

OLAC Membership Meeting

ALA Annual Conference 

Hyatt Regency Chicago, Room Columbia IJ

Chicago, Illinois

Friday, June 23, 2017

3:00 pm – 4:00 pm

 

 

Started at 3:11 pm

 

Present: Annie Glerum, Jeremy Myntti, Autumn Faulkner, Marcia Barrett, Stacie Traill, Bruce Evans, Jay

Weitz, Jeannette Ho, Nancy Lorimer, Mary Huismann, John Galdun, Neil Robinson, Rosemary

Groenwald, Yoko Kudo, Karen Peters, Chris Diamond, Rachel Maxwell, Mary Ann Maxwell, Debra Spidal, Jessica Robertson, Michele Fenton, Maggie Dull, Amy Weiss, Bryan Baldus, Emily Creo, Michele Zwierski, Trina Soderquist, Julie Moore, Josh Moorman, Netanel Ganin, Ethan Fenichel, Jessica Colbert. o Welcome and Introductions

Annie Glerum welcomed the attendees and called the meeting to order.  

 

  • Announcements:
    • Increase in membership fees o Annie announced that the increase of membership fees has been voted on by OLAC members and approved.

 

  • Officer Reports:
    • President’s Report (Annie Glerum):

 

Annie summarized major accomplishments during the past year: o Successfully planned the upcoming OLAC Conference 2017 o Opened a discussion regarding the possibility of an OLAC-MOUG merger o Formed a task force to come up with a unified OLAC “mega” best practices document for all formats that will be incorporated within the RDA Toolkit

  • Began to publicize OLAC member presentations at ALA conferences o Began a review of the OLAC Handbook
  • Initiated the creation of OLAC member ribbons to wear with badges at ALA Conferences

 

  • Vice President’s Report (Jeremy Myntti):

 

Discussions about the potential OLAC-MOUG merger are continuing.  Jeremy is working on a white paper that will compile all of the feedback he has received concerning a merger.  It should be made available during the next several months.

 

Jeremy thanked all of the OLAC members who submitted information about their presentations in advance of the ALA Annual Conference so they could be announced on the OLAC-L list and in the September newsletter.

 

  • Secretary (Jeannette Ho):

 

Minutes from the OLAC meetings during the ALA Midwinter Meeting appear in the March issue of the newsletter.  The OLAC Board’s Virtual Meeting, held on April 26th appear in the June issue.  

 

The OLAC rosters for the Executive Board members have been updated to include name and contact information for Hayley Moreno, the incoming Outreach/Advocacy Coordinator, as well as the two newly elected members, Mary Huismann (the incoming Vice President/President-elect) and Debra Spidal (the incoming treasurer).

  • Treasurer (Autumn Faulkner):

 

Autumn presented the new OLAC membership rates, which will go into effect on October 1st.  Membership fees will essentially be doubled for all categories of membership except contributing member, where the amount will increase from $50 to $75.  

 

The increases will be implemented on a rolling basis.  Members who renew prior to October 1st will pay the current rates, while those who renew on or after October 1st will pay the new rates.  Three-year members will also pay the new rates when it is time for them to renew.  When the renewal reminder comes out, people will see the new rates listed.

 

Autumn presented the fourth quarterly report.  Our opening balance was $12,500 and closing balance was $10,700.  The majority of costs were for expenses related to events (e.g., AV, room rental).  The OLAC Research Grant was the next biggest expense.  We will have a deficit this year, which is why it was necessary to raise membership rates. 

Once the new rates are implemented, OLAC’s budget should be on the path to recovery.

 

This is Autumn’s last ALA meeting as OLAC Treasurer.  She mentioned that the OLAC Board has been a great group to work with and welcomed Debra Spidal as the incoming Treasurer.

 

See the Treasurer’s report for more information.

  • Outreach/Advocacy (Jeremy Myntti):

 

Jeremy has been carrying out the duties of this position until Hayley Moreno, the incoming Outreach/Advocacy Coordinator, takes over after this Annual Conference.   He has given her all of the information relating to this position, and is ready to start.

 

 

 

  • Newsletter Editor (Marcia Barrett):

 

The June issue of the newsletter is currently published on the OLAC website.  The September issue will feature the incoming Board members, as well as Jeremy, the newly elected OLAC Vice President/President-elect. 

 

There will be a call for candidates to run in the next OLAC election.  We will be electing two officers: the Vice President/President-Elect and Secretary for the 2018-2019 year. 

 

There will also be a call for candidates for the Nancy B. Olson award.

 

  • CAPC Report (Bruce Evans):

 

CAPC has started to work on a “unified” best practices document that will bring together common instructions from all of the best practice guides for various formats.  It will be possible to sort instructions by format.  The unified best practices document will be linked to the RDA toolkit, as well as the cataloging resources section of the OLAC website.

 

There will be a need to clarify the use of RDA and non-RDA terms in the 336, 337, and

338 fields, as well as the 344 and 347 fields.  Technical Notice (March 10, 2917) includes 23 additions to the Genre/Form Code and Term Source Codes list.  Since this change came about, both OLAC and the MLA need to decide whether to continue coding the 33x and 34x fields as we have been, or whether to adopt the newly defined codes as part of  their best practices.  If we adopted the new codes, it would be necessary to repeat each individual field, as only as each individual term would have its own genre/form source code (e.g., 336 performed music $2 rdaco; 337 audio  $2 rdamt; 338 audio disc $2 rdact), while each code (e.g., “prm”, “s”, and “cd”) would not be associated with the new codes, but with the pre-existing ones (e.g., “rdacontent”, “rdamedia”, and “rdacarrier”).  

 

On Monday at nine a.m. at this conference, there will be a meeting with members of the RDA Steering Committee (RSC) and representatives from specialist cataloging communities (cartographic, AV, rare materials, etc.).  The discussion will focus on where improvements might be made in the RDA Toolkit to address the needs of special materials, such as additional elements that may be added.  Jessica Schomberg and Yoko Kudo will represent OLAC’s interests at this meeting.    CAPC has brainstormed issues concerning AV materials and will decide which ones to recommend tonight during its meeting.

o Other Executive Board Activities

 

  • Website Steering Committee (Matt Burrell):

 

Matt Burrell was not able to come to the meeting, but has submitted a report.

 

  • Conference Planning update (Stacie Trail for Kay Johnson):

 

Kay is leading a group that is working on local arrangements for the next OLAC

Conference, which will take place from October 27-29, 2017 in Richmond, Virginia at the Omni Hotel.  In the meantime, Stacie has been working with a group to plan programs for the conference.  

The conference website is available. A URL to this site will be sent to the OLAC list.  The Omni Hotel has a discounted room rate for conference attendees of $145 per night.  More details will be available on the hotel and conference websites.  Registration is not live yet on the conference website but will be available soon.  There will be a shuttle bus for attendees to visit the Virginia Museum of Fine Arts.  The reception will be at the Omni Hotel with music provided by the Kerry Street Ramblers, an Appalachian string band.  There will also be an optional tour of the LC Packard Campus for Audio-Visual Conservation on the Monday (October 30th) following the conference.  Round-trip shuttle service to and from the Campus will cost $35, but the tour is free.

The group responsible for program planning have put together the workshops and 80 percent of the speakers are lined up for the conference.  Stacie will send a call for poster presentations within the next few weeks.  There will also be a separate announcement for people interested in participating on a linked data project panel at the conference.  

Finally, there will be a “collaborative problem-solving round table.”  It will be similar to the traditional “birds of a feather” round tables from previous conferences, but will be structured a little differently.  There will be a discussion facilitator at each table, who will prepare a cataloging problem in advance.  It could be a practical problem that someone is dealing with, or a general issue that he or she would like to receive input on from colleagues.  A call for facilitators will be made.  Stacie encouraged people to start thinking of potential problems or issues that they would like to discuss at this event.

                        •     OCLC Update (Jay Weitz)

 

Jay distributed a handout summarizing news and announcements from OCLC, and a brochure, Breaking Through, containing information about new products and reports.  

 

Some highlights from the OCLC update report include the following: OCLC is hiring a Consulting Database Specialist.  Linda Gable, who has worked in this position, is retiring in August.  Jay encouraged people to apply. The 2017 OCLC-MARC Update will be published within the next three months.  It will implement the MARC 21 changes announced in MARC 21 Updates No. 23 (November 2016) and No. 24 (May 2017).  

  • Presentation

•     “Love from Afar: Describing Music Audio & Video Recordings in BIBFRAME, the Performed Music Ontology & Beyond.”  Presented by Nancy Lorimer.

 

Nancy Lorimer, the Head of the Metadata Department at Stanford University, gave a presentation on the Performed Music Ontology (PMO), which extends the BIBFRAME ontology to enable semantic description of performed music resources from “wire recordings to streamed audio to music video.”  She demonstrated how it enabled the enrichment of metadata for a small collection of resources related to the opera “L’Amour de loin” (Love from afar) by Kaija Saariaho, to show the relationships between them and other information about the opera.  Her presentation covered issues encountered as new classes and properties were added to the core BIBFRAME vocabulary, and ended with a demonstration of the SHARE-VDE interface by Casalini

Libri.

  • Passing of the Gavel

Annie passed the gavel to Jeremy Myntti, who will now serve as the OLAC President for the 2017-2018 year.

Adjourned at 4:05 pm.