From the Secretary

Newsletter Issue: 
Vol 37 no. 4 December 2017

Jeannette Ho 

 

Minutes of the OLAC Executive Board Meeting

Virtual Meeting through Skype Wednesday, September 13, 2017

Present: Jeremy Myntti, Bruce Evans, Stacie Traill, Mary Huismann, Heylicken (Hayley) Moreno, Debra Spidal, Annie Glerum, Kay Johnson, Jeannette Ho, Jay Weitz

Absent: Matt Burrell, Marcia Barrett Meeting started at 3:02 am EST

o

Committee Report:

  • Conference Planning (Stacie Traill and Kay Johnson)
    • Prior to the meeting, Kay sent a report to the Board member summarizing some highlights and concerns regarding arrangements for the upcoming OLAC Conference in Richmond. The number of attendees registered at this time is lower than we would like (As an update to her report that said 76 were registered as of 9/8/17, Autumn recently sent a message saying that we now have 90 people registered).
    • Hayley has contacted her to explore ways to increase the number of registrants. It was pointed out that the listservs on the report used to publicize the conference did not include ALCTS-Central. Hayley also suggested reaching out to library science students in states such as Maryland and North Carolina, who are within driving distance of Richmond, and may be willing to attend the conference.
    • Kay reported that the OLAC Conference hotel was sold out as of last Wednesday, October 25. Conference attendees may want to find a roommate or stay elsewhere if they arrive on Wednesday. There are still plenty of rooms for Thursday through Sunday.
    • Only one person has used the conference service to request a roommate so far.
    • A question was asked about the hotel blocks per night. As of Wednesday, there were 110 rooms in the block for Thursday and Friday, a little less for Saturday. There were few rooms still available for Sunday.
    • Hayley would like to streamline promotion for the OLAC Conference. She would

o promote information about it through social media outlets and have a hashtag on Twitter so people can follow activities during the conference. Kay will work with her after the meeting to discuss ways to promote it.

  • Stacie gave an update on programming for the upcoming conference in Richmond. Proposals have been received. So far we have received two proposals for Lightning Talks. This is not enough, and we will need at least two or three others. In an email discussion with the group helping with program planning, Jeremy suggested filling the remaining slots with CAPC members who can give brief updates on various activities or task forces from this group. In addition, we have only one volunteer so far for a round table facilitator for the Collaborative Problem Solving discussions and need several more. In the meantime, we have five proposals for poster sessions. Although we could have more, this number is probably sufficient. We have enough people (three) for the Linked Data Initiatives panel, and the workshop presenters are all set. Stacie will work with Kay on the logistics of scheduling and preparing rooms for the workshops.
  • Bruce said he will work with Stacie on recruiting CAPC members to give lightning talks.
  • Stacie said that she plans to extend the call for proposals to a few more days. She will contact Hayley with information to publicize this.

 

  • Officer Reports:
    • President (Jeremy)
      • OLAC Board Meeting in Richmond
        • It was decided to have the Board member dinner on Saturday evening of the conference, instead of Thursday, October 26, when our meeting is scheduled. Board members were also asked to browse the links to restaurants on the OLAC Conference website and make recommendations to him. Jeremy would like to decide on a restaurant within a few weeks.
      • ALA Midwinter Room Request
        • It is time to request rooms for meetings at the upcoming ALA Midwinter Meeting. Jeremy would like to request theater seating with a head table, 50 seats, for the Membership Meeting, and a hollow square with 20 seats and 20 perimeter seating for the CAPC meeting. This is consistent with what we have requested in the past. Board members agreed that this was acceptable.
  • MOUG Liaison-Autumn Faulkner was appointed for 2017-2019.
  • AMIA Liaison--A past AMIA President approached Annie at ALA Annual about this liaison role. Jeremy is following up with the AMIA Cataloging and Metadata Committee to fill this position.
  • OLAC Archives—Jeremy contacted Liz Miller to find out the latest status of the OLAC Archives since nothing has happened with this over the past couple of years. He will look into how we should proceed with the Archives in the future.

 

  • Vice President/President-Elect (Mary)
    • Mary has compiled a summary of past programs and is exploring various topics that we could do programming on during the Annual Conference
    • She will put out a call for topics/speakers
    • Someone suggested having a microphone at the Membership Meeting for Midwinter. It was mentioned that we did have one for the past conference, although we didn’t use it.

 

  • Treasurer (Debra)
    • Prior to the meeting, Debra shared links to the corrected 4th quarterly report for FY17) and the preliminary 1st quarterly report for FY18.
    • Debra reported that she has received historical Treasurer/Membership Coordinator documentation, as well as access to all of the online accounts and services that Autumn had used as past Treasurer.
    • Tax forms have been submitted.
    • Debra is ready to implement the rate change in membership dues effective October 1st.
    • We have added 44 new members since July 10th, mostly due to conference registration.
    • We can anticipate a large expense for renewing Wild Apricot. The cost may be between $600 and $800.
    • The membership software was updated in anticipation of the new rates, but it was discovered that some updates were incorrect, and had to be changed back.
    • We will have an expense of between $200 and $300 for giving refunds to members who were charged the wrong amount. Debra estimated the cost of the refund to be $20 per person for most people.

 

  • Secretary (Jeannette)
    • The OLAC meeting minutes from ALA Midwinter were sent to OLAC Board members for their review after ALA Annual. Jeannette submitted the corrected version to the Newsletter on August 10th. They appear in the current September issue.
    • The roster for OLAC Board members and appointees/liaisons was updated to include Autumn Faulkner’s contact information for the MOUG Liaison position.
    • Jeannette monitored comments made in the Google Docs draft of the OLAC Handbook prior to the Board meeting. A reminder had been sent to Board members to comment on it by September 1st in mid-August.

 

  • Outreach/Advocacy (Hayley)
    • Hayley is planning to meet with Kay Johnson and discuss ways to streamline the promotion of the OLAC Conference. She is interested in using social media and exploring new methods to get people excited about the Conference.
    • Hayley met with Marcia about what the Outreach/Advocacy coordinator should write about. Hayley would like to share stories about how OLAC members are using resources, promoting OLAC to fellow librarians, or advocating for AV cataloging. The stories could go in the Newsletter.
    • Hayley would like to target library school students, a population that we have not traditionally reached out to. There could be potential life-long members of OLAC among future catalogers at those institutions if we showcase how much value they would get for joining our organization.
    • Jeremy expressed support for the idea of reaching out to students. He mentioned an OLAC member who successfully promoted OLAC to one of his cataloging students at the University of Illinois who later joined it and became a professional cataloger. There could be other LIS professors among our colleagues that we could target.
    • Hayley encouraged Board members to share similar stories with her.

 

  • Newsletter Editor (Jeremy for Marcia)

o The September issue of the OLAC Newsletter is on the OLAC website. The announcement for its publication was sent a little late this time since she had some trouble posting it to OLAC-L.

 

  • CAPC Chair (Bruce Evans)
    • Bruce will put out call for agenda items in the near future for the CAPC meeting in Richmond.
    • Mega/Unified BP Task Force:
      • The membership of this group is now complete: Marcia Barrett, Teressa Keenan, Yoko Kudo, Melissa Burel, and Amanda Scott.
      • Advisors: Bruce is still working on getting advisors for this group. Some suggestions that have been put forward from task force members are: Jay Weitz, Greta de Groat, and Kelley McGrath.
      • BP TF authors will be “ex officio advisors”, as they will be involved with content drawn from their BP documents.
      • Next steps: 1) Come to final agreement on advisors, and approach tem;

2) Bruce to send email to five TF members and put together TF prospectus outlining its parameters and scope.

  • Whither 3XX effort from this summer?
    • Bruce discussed it with Mary Huismann over the phone on August 31, as the issue has morphed a bit. They identified and discussed three central “issues” that needed further action. Two are not pressing, one is.
    • Issue 1 (not pressing): Address inconsistency in treatment of non-RDA terms in MARC 344 and 347 fields. In a nutshell, RDA is unlikely to come up with standard terms for A/V concepts, so there is a need for standardization of terms outside of RDA. (Important side-note: this would essentially be a reincarnation of the vocabulary/glossary effort; albeit with a somewhat different focus.) Mary and Bruce discussed some next steps that could be done without needing to form another task force to resolve this matter.
    • Issue 2 (*pressing): Consider consistent treatment of 344 and 347 across formats. They talked about the need to put together a joint task force (OLAC and MLA; two people from each) to review both communities’ sets of BP to see where practices line up or diverge and make recommendations for revision. The exact timeline will be dependent upon analogous needed OCLC/MARC updates. (In a sense, this issue most closely resembles Jay’s original plea for help before Annual.)
    • Issue 3 (not pressing): Consider implementation of the new $2 source codes for 33X and 34X. Next steps: Bruce and Mary check with OLAC and MLA’s respective MAC liaisons to assess feasibility of a MAC paper like this passing. (Previous discussion indicates this may be a tough sell.)

 

  • Follow up to RSC-sponsored Specialized Cataloging Community meeting at Annual.
  • At the above-noted meeting on June, Judy Kuhagen asked the A/V cataloging community (i.e. OLAC) for additional guidance on Representative Expression in IFLA-LRM, and to report back on this prior to the follow up meeting at Midwinter. After consulting with Kelley and Yoko, I found out that there is now a “final” draft of IFLA-LRM that was released just last month (link:) that reworked the section on representative expression quite a bit. So a possible next step could be to have all CAPC members read the newest version, and then brainstorm recommendations regarding representative expression per Judy K’s request.
  • Cataloging Resources page revision effort
  • Next steps will be dependent upon prospective redesign of our website.
  • Accessibility MAC Paper:

Did not pass at Annual. Will come up again at a focus MAC meeting. See PROPOSAL 2017-11 discussion for complete information.

  • Joint MLA/OLAC Playaways TF Matter
  • Rosemary Groenwald expressed doubts about this TF. She suggested that this project be shelved entirely in an email she sent to Bruce on August 1st. In it, she wrote: “In order for this document to be valuable to AV catalogers, it should have been published quite a while back. I think most catalogers of Playaways have accepted the cataloging practice of the Playaway company while enhancing the records in ways that follow RDA rules as they understand them or a format that is a sound recording but also includes elements of the format "other." I'm not sure that publishing it so far after the fact will be of much use to most catalogers of the format other than to confirm that they have been doing it right! I'm not sure where all of this leaves the BP document. I guess I'd like to suggest that we poll the CAPC members, both current and past, as to whether they feel there is merit in still publishing a BP guide for Playaways. Then, depending on the results, we can formulate what our next step will be. “
  • Prior to the meeting, Bruce clarified with Jeremy that this task force is a joint effort between MLA and OLAC. (There was a separate effort to create a summary document of issues related to cataloging Playaways).
  • Bruce will check with CAPC members to decide whether to continue to pursue this project.

 

  • Committee Reports
    • Website Steering Committee (Annie for Matt)
      • Annie will help Matt maintain the website. She would like to be contacted when the Handbook revisions are ready to be published.
  • Election Committee (Stacie Traill)
    • There was a call for nominations for the next election in the Newsletter. Positions available this year include: Vice President/President-Elect and Secretary.
    • Stacie would like to recruit someone before the OLAC Conference to work on the Election Committee with her to put out broader calls for nominations.
    • December 31st is the deadline for nominations.
    • Stacie has a list of people that Marcia recruited from last year. She would like us to let her know of people who would be good candidates.
  • Nancy B. Olson Award (Annie):
    • An announcement was sent to OLAC-L on 9/5/2017
    • An announcement also appears in the September issue of the Newsletter.
    • The deadline for applications is December 1.

 

  • OLAC Research Grant Committee (Mary)
    • No report at this time

 

  • Discussion
  • OLAC-MOUG merger white paper (Jeremy Myntti and Bruce Evans)
    • A group will be formed to review the white paper and come up with recommendations on how to move forward. Three people from MOUG (Nara Newcomer, Molly O’Brien, Alan Ringwood) and the OLAC-MOUG Liaison (Autumn Faulkner) have already been appointed to it. Three more members from OLAC are needed. Mary, Hayley, and Bruce agreed to serve on it.

o There is no timeline for this task force, but Jeremy thought their work should take place within the next few months. He proposed that the white paper be shared with the OLAC membership prior to the upcoming OLAC Conference in

 

Richmond, and that the task force meet afterwards in either November or December.

 

  • Handbook revision and bylaws changes (Jeannette Ho)
    • See the comments people made on a draft of the Handbook.
    • Jeannette summarized some changes that will be made that are non- controversial (replacing “Webmaster” with “Web Developer,” adding Heidi Frank to the list of Nancy B. Olson Award recipients, deleting any mention of “OLAC Production Editor” under “OLAC Stipends and Fees,” and changing the wording for the Secretary’s duties under Article V. Officers. Section 3d so that it conforms to the wording in the actual Bylaws that were voted on in 2014).
    • Changes people suggested to Article IX. Committees under “Section 2. Website Steering Committee”) will not be made at this time since this section of the Bylaws contains wording that was voted on in 2014.
    • Other sections (“Article V. Officers. Section 2 Appointed Officers” and “OLAC Executive Board: Duties of the Chair of CAPC”) will also be kept the same until we can have a discussion about whether a Bylaws change should be proposed to lengthen the term of the CAPC Chair to two years instead of one.
    • The section under “OLAC Website Steering Committee” outside the Bylaws had been discussed at Midwinter. The current wording in the Bylaws for this committee will be used in this section. Other potential changes that have been suggested will need to wait since they would require Bylaws changes. Jeannette said she would compile a list of all issues that would require such changes in the Bylaws after the meeting so that they can be discussed at a future meeting.
    • It was decided that under “OLAC Executive Board: Duties of the Treasurer/Membership Coordinator,” the President should be specified as the “other board member” who will help the Treasurer “peruse the IRS site (section for exempt organizations) annually.”

 

  • OLAC Brochure

o At a recent ALA conference, the Affiliates booth did not have any printed literature for OLAC. The OLAC brochure needs to be updated soon so that it can be distributed at booths in the future.

 

Meeting adjourned at 4:02 pm EST.

 

 

OLAC Executive Board Meeting

OLAC Conference

Omni Hotel, Rappahannock Room Richmond, VA

Thursday, October 26, 2017

6:00-7:00

 

Present: Annie Glerum, Bruce Evans, Jeremy Myntti, Stacie Traill, Jeannette Ho, Jay Weitz, Mary Huismann, Heylicken (Hayley) Moreno, Debra Spidal, Kay Johnson, Casey Mullins

 

Started at 6:05 pm

 

o Committee Reports

o Conference Planning (Stacie Traill and Kay Johnson)

 

According to Kay, there are 131 total registrants for this conference. Sixty-five registrants are attending an OLAC conference for the first time.

 

The biggest problem dealt with during the conference so far are errors in schedules that were printed on name tags. Registrants need to check the emails they received prior to the conference or at the front desk to confirm that their schedules are correct.

Kay said she was a little concerned about the cost of the conference. She encouraged people to not share their reception drink tickets and not use all of them. We get charged for the cost of drinks that were actually ordered after the conference.

 

Contact information needs to be obtained for attendees that were not on the original list of registrants. Conference planners had not originally planned to do late registrations. There are at least three people who needed extra chairs at the preconference on Thursday afternoon. Receipts are also off by a least one attendee who was not on the list.

 

Kay expressed concerns with the cost structure of this conference. She had lobbied to get a higher registration fee for this conference. She mentioned that other meetings, such as Charleston and NASIG have lower registration fees than ALA, but the cost of lodgings are not as expensive. She was also not able to get potential big donors (although OCLC and Midwest Tapes participated) this time due to this being an “emergency conference” during a year when the OLAC conference is not normally held. She had tried to get representatives from Zepheira to do a demonstration of their BIBFRAME tools, but this didn’t work out.

 

Kay thought that both OLAC and MOUG need to increase attendance to bring in more funding. Stacie said that attendance has been pretty steady for the last five or six OLAC conferences. There was a lot of feedback received in last year’s survey of OLAC and MOUG members about a potential merger of these organizations. Some respondents who could benefit from OLAC’s conferences found the amount of the registration fee to

 

be prohibitive. There is an ongoing discussion about finding the right balance between keeping the conferences affordable while raising sufficient funds. In the meantime, we have attempted to follow guidelines in the Conference manual, such as selecting dinner venues at affordable costs, keeping the costs of shuttle buses down, and not having more than one reception.

 

It was mentioned that cataloging meetings have traditionally not attracted huge sponsorships from vendors because of the perception that catalogers don’t make purchasing decisions. Vendors may need to be better informed about the extent to which catalogers can influence purchases, such as the choice of an ILS. She would like us to pursue better deals with them so that we can cover more costs, such as AV (which was over $800).

A question was asked if $50 was too low for the cost of the preconference. It was suggested that if we can begin to offer multiple preconferences at the same conference, we might be able to raise more funds.

Debra said that sixty new members have joined OLAC last month, which could be because of the conference. She had been told that October was traditionally the peak month for renewals, but she has not seen any for this month. She wondered if the recent increase in membership fees caused this.

Jeremy asked Casey about having more combined OLAC-MOUG conferences. Casey replied that many people attend MOUG conferences because they are held immediately after the Music Library Association (MLA) conferences. Few attendees at the last MOUG conference, belonged to MOUG, but not MLA. It was also mentioned that people seem to have less funds to travel to professional meetings as they used to, so the convenience of traveling to one location for both of these conferences may be important to consider.

Jeremy asked if the next OLAC Conference should be held in 2019, or within the next two and a half years. Autumn, the former Treasurer, had previously raised a concern about the challenges that her successor would have in transitioning toward this role if the next conference was held too soon. Debra said that she has not been able to remove Nathan Putnam’s name or contact information from OLAC’s business account in PayPal. It was asked whether Nathan can help in this situation. Another person suggested that she close this account and open a new one. However, it is not clear whether the account is tied up with the one in Wild Apricot, the new organization/membership management system that Autumn selected and helped implement. There is a bit of a learning curve for this program. Debra would like to prepare early for the next conference. She mentioned that her term lasts for two years, and she is not sure if this is enough time for her to get involved with the next conference. Jeremy suggested that the next conference can be held off longer. We should also begin looking for people who would be interested in help host it. It was also mentioned that 2020 will mark the 40th anniversary of OLAC.

Hayley remarked that marketing for the conference had been done at the last minute. As a result, people learned about it too late. There needs to be ample time to publicize the next conference in advance. It was mentioned that the Outreach/Advocacy Coordinator position had been vacant for a long time prior to this conference.

 

Kay suggested having a memorandum of understanding with the speakers about the honorarium and other issues. Things didn’t always go smoothly this time over getting workshop descriptions and speaker biographical information upfront. It was suggested that a template be created where all requirements for conference planning is laid out in advance. Kay agreed that a checklist approach would be useful, and will take a look at the Conference Handbook. She said she would also like to get feedback from everyone who had been involved with the conference about things that they felt could be improved.

 

Regarding the timeline of the next conference, the OLAC-MOUG merger survey respondents felt that it was worse to meet during spring than during fall. Again, the MLA Conference takes place in February and MOUG’s content has a lot of overlap. It was suggested that a more comprehensive study of conference experiences be conducted after OLAC and MOUG representatives finish discussing the potential merger between the two organizations.

 

Jeremy thanked and acknowledged all the work that Kay has done to plan and organize this conference.

 

  • Officer Reports:
    • President’s report (Jeremy):
      • OLAC Board Dinner
        • The dinner will be held Saturday, October 28th at 6:30 at Casa del Barco on 320 South 12th Street
        • Board members will meet in the lobby of the Omni Hotel at 6:15 to walk to the restaurant together.

 

  • OLAC meetings at ALA Midwinter
  • Membership Meeting - Friday, February 9, 2018, 3:00-4:00 pm (Location TBD)
  • OLAC Board Meeting - Friday, February 9, 2018, 4:00-5:00 pm (OCLC Red Suite)
  • OLAC Board dinner - Friday, February 9, 2018, 5:30-7:00 pm (Location TBD)
  • CAPC Meeting - Friday, February 9, 2018, 7:30-9:30 pm (Location TBD

 

  • Research grant discussion at ALA Midwinter?
    • We need to ask Ralph Hartsock and Peter Lisius to see if either of them are attending ALA Midwinter and would be willing to give a talk

 

  • OCLC Global Council update
    • A link to a Google Document describing changes to the OCLC Global Council (formerly known as the OCLC Members Council) was forwarded to Board members prior to the conference. The OLAC Handbook needs to be updated to reflect these changes.

 

  • Next OLAC Conference proposal deadline

 

 

  • According to the handbook, the board should decide on the next conference location at ALA Midwinter

 

  • Vice President/President Elect’s report (Mary):
    • No report at this time. She will report later on the Research Grant, which is not currently listed under the Vice President/President-Elect duties in the Handbook.

 

  • Treasurer’s report (Debra):
    • FY18 Q1 membership of 324 which is an increase of 63 this quarter
    • FY18 Q1 closing balance of $12,519.03

 

  • Secretary’s report (Jeannette Ho):
    • Minutes for Virtual Board Meeting (held via Skype on September 13th)

 

On September 20th, Jeannette sent a draft of the minutes for this meeting on to the other Board members for their review. She plans to send them for publication in the December issue of the OLAC Newsletter on November 15th.

 

  • Handbook revisions

o

 

  • Prior to the conference, Jeannette sent a summary of issues that came up during discussions about the Handbook that would require Bylaws changes. These potential changes would need to be discussed and approved before edits could be made to the Handbook. This includes the request from the Web Steering Committee, which was made two years ago.
  • She also sent a document containing non-controversial edits she plans to make to the Handbook that have been discussed so far. It also includes areas that would require Bylaws changes highlighted in yellow that require more discussion.

 

  • Outreach/Advocacy report (Hayley):

 

Hayley reported that a Twitter hashtag has been set up for the conference (#OLAC2017). She has received some positive feedback from attendees who are enjoying the tweets.

 

  • Newsletter Editor’s report (Jeremy for Marcia Barrett):

 

  • The December newsletter will be published in early December. It will include the usual columns, plus reports on the OLAC conference and meetings of interest for ALA Midwinter. Also, we’ll have the first report from our new OLAC/MOUG liaison, Autumn Faulkner.
  • Marcia is interested in including photographs from the OLAC Conference, so please send any you are willing to have published to Marcia (barrett@ucsc.edu).

 

  • CAPC (Bruce)

 

  • Next CAPC Chair

 

We will vote for new CAPC interns and members at Midwinter. At this time, we will also vote for the new chair.

 

o Cataloging Resources Page (CRP): In a video conference call with Matt Burrell and Richard Leigh earlier this year, Matt informed us of the desire to create a whitepaper outlining his vision for the OLAC website (which of course has since been released). Because of the nature of his vision, the need to rename the files on the CRP would no longer apply. Now that we are further along in the calendar year, unless the changes to the website are imminent, he would recommend going forward with renaming the files on the CRP to make the page more useful in the meantime.

 

  • Committee Reports
    • Web Steering Committee report (Annie for Matt Burrell):

 

  • Matt and Annie will begin meeting in person regularly then meet with the entire committee quarterly.

 

  • Recommendation to include the Chair of SMaCR and a Website Content Coordinator in the Committee as well as Outreach/Advocacy Coordinator, Past-President, and Web Developer.

 

The Board members agreed with this proposal. It was suggested that in addition to these two positions, other people could also be brought in to this committee to work on various projects.

 

It was noted that these changes would require more changes to the Bylaws before they could take place.

 

Establishing a new position of Website Content Coordinator was suggested since the Committee has not always been able to find someone with both web development skills, and the cataloging/metadata knowledge needed to effectively plan the website’s content. Thus, the Website Content Coordinator would handle the content on the website while the Web Developer would maintain its technical structure. The Content Coordinator would not need to be a Board member. The Past President would represent this Committee to the Board.

 

Someone suggested that another possibility would be to set up a committee dealing with the website content.

 

The question of whether this position would receive a stipend was asked. Debra expressed concerns about budgeting for this and Bruce expressed the same concern about the Continuing Education position. If the Website Content Coordinator is not a member of the Board, then he or she would not be required to attend meetings held at ALA Conferences, and therefore, would not receive a stipend. Stacie stated that there are not enough people at this time to perform the work of OLAC and there is a need for more well-defined roles and positions, since asking for volunteers on an ad hoc basis has not been working.

One person commented that some positions may not require terms longer than one year, if there is not enough work to keep them busy for two years. A question was asked whether there is a precedent to assign one-year terms to appointed positions.

It was also commented that OLAC members may not perceive that this organization is as interactive as others. It may be beneficial to provide more opportunities for members to actively participate. This may help them feel more connected, while helping the organization to be more visible. In light of the recent membership dues increase, members may start wondering what they are paying for, especially since the newsletter is freely available online. How can OLAC provide value to those members?

Jeremy asked what it would cost OLAC if we had two more Board members plus a Continuing Education coordinator (who could possibly do webinars on a regular basis). He also asked whether we could get technical support from ALA, and how our costs would compare with other organizations who provide stipends for their presenters.

Bruce said that the role of the chair of SMaCR is up for discussion, as there are lot of potential things that this position could do. Another Board member remarked that it would be good to look at the role of the entire subcommittee. When it was first formed, it dealt with the maintenance of printed documentation. Now our documentation is online, so we don’t go through the same publication process as we did in the past. It was mentioned again that there are not enough people to do the work. Someone else concurred and said the situation was the same with CAPC.

 

  • Election Committee (Stacie)

 

Stacie brought a flyer to publicize the need for candidates to run for positions on the OLAC Executive Board. Two positions are open: Vice President/President-Elect and Secretary. The deadline for nominations is December 31st. She encouraged Board members to talk to colleagues about running for office and to encourage self- nominations.

 

Adjourned at 7:00 pm

 

 

 

OLAC Membership Meeting

OLAC Conference

Omni Richmond Ballroom Richmond, VA

Saturday, October 28, 2017 12:15pm – 2:00 pm

 

Started at 1:00 pm

 

  • Welcome and Introductions

Jeremy Myntti welcomed the attendees and called the meeting to order.

 

  • Announcements:
    • Conference update (Kay Johnson)
      • Kay urged attendees to fill out evaluations of the conference. Such feedback is important to help plan the next OLAC Conference
      • Evaluation forms and handouts from the various sessions are available on Dropbox. The link to it was sent by email prior to the conference.
      • People who are planning to attend Monday’s tour of the LC Packard Campus Audio Visual Conservation Center in Culpepper, Virginia, should give their lunch orders to her by 2:00 pm
      • The reception will be held this evening this evening in the JR foyer from 8-10 p.m. There will be a roots band featuring Mark Campbell, an award-winning fiddler. Drink tickets may purchase two non-alcoholic beverages, 1 beer, or 1 wine.
      • Conference organizers have provided the projectors for the presentations to save costs.
      • Lanyards may be returned to the registration desk if attendees do not need them after the conference.
      • Nancy B. Olson, the founder of OLAC, is in hospice care. Two cards have been placed at the registration desk for people to sign.
    • OLAC Conference Scholarship Awardee (Jeremy Myntti for Stacie Traill)
      • Emily J. Creo was congratulated for winning this year’s OLAC Conference Scholarship. As the Head of Cataloging at Four County Library System in Vestal, New York, she manages four copy catalogers and is the sole professional cataloging librarian at her library, cataloging materials in a variety of formats. She received her MLIS in 2013, joined ALA’s ALCTS division in 2014, and joined OLAC in 2016.
  • Executive Board elections (Jeremy Myntti for Stacie Traill)
    • Two positions are open for nominations: the OLAC Vice President/President-Elect and the OLAC Secretary. Interested attendees were encouraged to nominate themselves by electronically submitting a letter with a brief description of their qualifications and professional activities to Stacie Traill. All OLAC members are welcome to run. If they nominate someone else, they should get that person’s

 

permission first. There will be a stipend associated with these positions. The deadline for nominations is December 31st.

  • Nancy B. Olson Award (Annie Glerum)
    • This award honors a librarian who has made significant contributions to the advancement and understanding of audiovisual cataloging.
    • The website for this award has been updated to refer audiovisual “and/or electronic resources” and computer files has been updated to “electronic resources.”
    • The deadline for nominations is December 1st.
    • Multiple nominations are fine.
    • Attendees who are interested in serving on the committee to select the award recipient should contact Anne Glerum or go to the Contact menu of the OLAC website to fill out a Contact OLAC form.
  • OLAC Research Grant (Mary Huismann)
    • The new cycle for this grant will begin soon, with applications due in the Spring.
    • There will be a call for people to serve on the OLAC Research Grant Committee soon.
  • CAPC call for member and intern applications (Bruce Evans)
    • CAPC is made up of seven members and seven liaisons for various external organizations (OCLC, LC, the MARC Advisory Committee, CC:DA, etc.)
    • Members serve two-year terms with the possibility of re-appointments; interns serve one-year terms which may also potentially be renewed.
    • Internships are intended to broaden participation on CAPC, and to help newer catalogers gain insight into the workings of an international cataloging committee.

Interns may be assigned to special projects

  • A call for CAPC interns was sent to the OLAC-L email list. There will also be a call in the OLAC Newsletter.
  • Interested attendees may approach Bruce if they have any questions.

 

  • Officer Reports:
    • President’s Report (Jeremy Myntti):

 

Jeremy announced the meeting times of the OLAC membership and CAPC meetings at the next ALA Midwinter conference.

  • The membership meeting will meet on Friday, February 9, from 3-4 p.m.
  • The CAPC meeting will meet on the same day from 7:30-9:30 p.m.
  • Both meetings are open to all ALA attendees.

 

Jeremy encouraged attendees to begin thinking about the next OLAC Conference. Those who are interested in becoming involved should contact a Board member.

 

 

  • Vice President’s Report (Mary Huismann):

 

Mary is planning topics and speakers for the OLAC membership meeting at the upcoming ALA Midwinter meeting and Annual conference. She encouraged attendees to let her know if they have ideas.

 

  • Secretary (Jeannette Ho):

 

A draft of the minutes from the virtual OLAC Executive Board meeting that was held in September has been forwarded to Board members for their review. The final version of the minutes will appear in the December issue of the newsletter.

 

Discussions have continued for potential revisions to the OLAC Handbook. Some of the suggested changes can be made soon while others that would impact the Bylaws will require more discussion before changes can be made.

  • Treasurer (Jeremy Myntti for Debra Spidal): The total number of OLAC members is 324.

The closing balance for the budget is $12,519.03.

 

See the Treasurer’s report elsewhere in this issue of the newsletter.

 

  • Outreach/Advocacy (Hayley Moreno):
    • Twitter Hashtag

 

The Twitter hashtag for this conference is #OLAC2017.

 

  • Share your story with me on how you are advocating for nonprint materials cataloging field

 

Hayley invited attendees to share stories with her about how they are using OLAC resources and promoting the organization.

 

  • Newsletter Editor (Jeremy Myntti for Marcia Barrett):

 

The December issue of the newsletter will contain reports from the OLAC conference and announcements for events that will take place at ALA Midwinter.

 

Attendees who volunteered to serve as conference reporters should send their reports to Jan Mayo soon after the conference. If they have taken pictures of the conference, they should send them to Marcia Barrett.

 

  • CAPC Report (Bruce Evans):

 

 

 

OLAC has formally approved and made appointments to the task force that will create a “unified” best practices document that will bring together common instructions from all of the best practice guides for various formats. Later during the conference, Bruce will present a lightning talk about this newly formed task force.

 

There was an informal open discussion on projects and ideas for CAPC on Thursday night of this conference. Bruce thanked everyone who came to this meeting. Some topics discussed at this meeting include: how to record attributes of the representative expression from the IFLA-LRM model (the canonical, best known, or most authoritative version of a work), whether to create a general best practices guide for all portable digital audio devices (Playaways, GoChip), and what actions OLAC should take with genre/form and demographic terms.

 

A joint MLA and OLAC working group has made recommendations regarding non-RDA terms that can be used in the 336, 337, 338, and 34x fields. It decided to recommend recording separate fields and adopting the source codes for these terms. The best practice guides need to be revised to reflect these recommendations. Mary Huismann, was thanked for leading this group last summer.

 

  • Updates

 

  • Website Steering Committee (Annie Glerum for Matt Burrell):

 

Annie gave a shout out to Matt for all of the work he has done for the website, especially the one for the conference.

 

The new website has been up for a while, but some parts of it are still under construction. Attendees were encouraged to report issues with the website by filling out the Contact OLAC form on the “Contact” page. This form will go to Matt and he will forward it to the appropriate person or group.

 

Matt has proposed a new, more dynamic architecture for the OLAC website. Each object (e.g., document) on the website will have its own customized metadata and be arranged “on-demand” depending on needs. Users will be able to sort the objects by any metadata field or search all of them across the website at the same. The display for each object will be dynamically created when selected.

 

The committee has recommended that the chair of SmaCR be an ongoing member. It would also like a dedicated Website Content Coordinator to serve on it. The latter would be a new position and would be responsible for planning the content of the website.

While it would involve using a text editor to create content, one would not need to know HTML in order to serve as one of the committee’s content editors. If anyone is interested in serving on the committee, see Annie.

 

 

 

  • OCLC Update (Jay Weitz) See the full report online.

A document summarizing news and announcements from OCLC is available as an online document on Dropbox. There will also be an updated version of it in the December issue of the newsletter.

 

Some highlights from the OCLC update report include the following:

 

The OCLC-MARC Update 2017 was implemented in September. It includes the MARC 21 changes announced in MARC 21 Updates No. 23 (November 2016) and No. 24 (May 2017). Details of this update are available in OCLC Technical Bulletin 267.

 

New MARC codes, including the ones for the new controlled vocabulary terms to be used in the 33x and 34x fields, are included in this update. These vocabularies are defined in the RDA registry. Catalogers should refer to the chart at the end of the above technical bulletin, which shows how they should be applied and corresponding RDA rules. Catalogers should begin to use these new terms and codes.

 

OCLC’s Bibliographic Formats and Standards document is in the process of being revised. A lot of the information in this Bulletin has been transferred into it.

 

  • OLAC-MOUG Liaison (Autumn Faulkner)

 

Autumn explained that MOUG stood for Music OCLC Users Group and its purpose. Many people are members of both OLAC and MOUG. It formed in 1977, and will celebrating its 40th anniversary at its annual meeting in February. If members have any stories, memories, or messages of congratulations to share, get in touch with Michelle Hahn.

 

  • OLAC-MOUG White Paper (Bruce Evans et al.)

 

Bruce reminded attendees of the white paper. It is the culmination of a series of discussions that began during the 2014 OLAC Conference when someone at a Board dinner suggested a potential merger of the two organizations. A survey was sent to both OLAC and MOUG members and town hall-style meetings were held in both organizations to gather additional feedback. Jeremy Myntti, Nara Newcomer, and Bruce Evans were responsible for carrying out this project.

 

There will be a conference call on November 9th among representative members from the executive boards from both organizations to discuss the matter further. The individuals that will be attending include: Nara Newcomer, Molly O’Brien, Alan Ringwood, Bruce Evans, Mary Huismann, Hayley Moreno, and Autumn Faulkner.

 

  • Discussion
    • OCLC Global Council and OLAC’s relationship (Bobby Bothmann and John DeSantis)

 

 

 

Bobby and John gave a presentation about the OCLC Global Council. It was formerly known as the OCLC Member Council and had a relationship with OLAC, where a representative from OLAC attended its meetings as an observer. It has now changed its name and structure. The OLAC Handbook will be revised to reflect these changes.

 

The OCLC Global Council is the international body that governs OCLC as a global library cooperative. It has 18,000 institutional members with 48 delegates elected to represent the three Regional Councils, which include: the Americas Regional Council (ARC), Europe, Middle East, Africa Regional Council (EMEA), and the Asia Pacific Regional Council (APRC). In addition, six trustees are elected to the Global Council. The latter works with the OCLC Board of Trustees, which has 15 trustees made up of nine librarians, and others from areas such as higher education, law and publishing. The Global Council met twice a year in the fall and in the spring. They now meet once a year in spring.

 

John DeSantis is serving his third term as a member of the Global Council, while Bobby is serving his first term. Global Council members are elected by OCLC members. Library directors typically cast the votes, so it is important to bring ballots to their attention so that they know to vote each year. Delegates serve three-year terms and are eligible for re-election to a second term. They are limited to no more than two consecutive terms. Allocation of the 48 delegates across the three regions are based on the percentage of total OCLC revenue each region generates. For instance, if a region generates 25% of the total revenue, they would get 4 seats equally distributed (25% of the 48 seats) and 9 additional seats (based on 25% of the remaining seats). ARC is currently the largest regional council, represented by many kinds of libraries. Each regional council has its own board, which also hold meetings once a year. EMEA meets in February, APRC meets in December, and ARC will meet for the first time during the next Monday and Tuesday in Baltimore.

 

John and Bobby said they were interested in hearing feedback on issues that people would like them to discuss with OCLC.

 

  • Tribute to Nancy B. Olson

 

Bobby Bothmann, Sandy Roe, and Jay Weitz each shared personal stories and memories of their relationships with Ms. Olson, her impact on their careers, and her many contributions to advancing the cataloging of audiovisual materials. Some of her most important accomplishments include:

 

  • Founding OLAC in 1980 at a time when there was not much support in the library profession for this type of work
  • Authoring the book, Cataloging of Audiovisual Materials and Other Special Materials
  • Encouraging and advising people on discussion lists on applying principle-based cataloging for AV formats
  • Teaching workshops on AV and electronic formats, including a week-long workshop at San Jose University

 

 

 

  • Serving as the first editor of the OLAC newsletter
  • Writing the original AV glossary
  • Publishing the index to the Cataloging Service Bulletin.

 

Attendees were encouraged to sign the cards for Ms. Olson, who is in hospice care, at the registration desk. Photos were taken of attendees that will be sent to her.

 

Adjourned at 2:00 pm.

 

 

 

OLAC CAPC Meeting

OLAC Conference 2017

Omni Richmond Hotel, JR Salon C Richmond, VA

Thursday, October 26, 2017

 

Present: Bruce Evans (chair), Mary Huismann, Kelley McGrath, Janet Schrader, Thomas Whittaker, Hannah Spence, Michelle Cronquist, Heather Pretty, Casey Mullin, Jeremy Myntti, Netanel Ganin, Deborah Ryszka, Scott M. Dutkiewicz, Hayley Moreno, Jay Weitz, Marsha Seamans, Jeannette Ho

 

Started at 7:15 p.m.

 

Note: Due to the lack of a quorum of CAPC members at this conference, this meeting did not have a particular agenda. It was intended to be an informal discussion about various CAPC- related initiatives and topics that it might address in the future.

 

Bruce welcomed the attendees and explained the purpose of the meeting. While no agenda was sent in advance, he had several preplanned topics, and then planned to open the meeting up to the attendees. He gave a reminder about a lightning talk that he will present later during the conference about the new Unified Best Practices Task Force, which will work on resolving inconsistencies between the various OLAC best practices guides, with the eventual goal of creating a single best practices guide for all formats that will be integrated with the RDA Toolkit.

 

Accessibility discussion paper

 

During the summer of 2016, an OLAC committee that was charged with proposing new methods of recording video accessibility information learned that the Canadian Committee on Metadata Exchange was also working on similar issues. OLAC partnered with this committee to write a discussion paper and presented it to the MARC Advisory Committee at the 2017 Annual Conference. The paper was not adopted.

 

The committee has since drafted a new paper proposing the creation of new subfields for the 041 field (Language Code). Copies of this paper were distributed among attendees. It proposes that

 

  • Subfield Sp be used for “Language code of accessible text (captioning)
  • Subfield $q be used for “Language code of accessible audio track (Described Video)
  • Subfield $r be used for “Language code of accessible visual language (Signing)

 

The paper stated that there is a lack of ISO codes for specific sign languages that can be recorded in subfield $2. An attendee asked if it would be possible to find another list, or have OLAC create its own list of such codes. It was also suggested that language of intertitles for

 

 

 

silent films be assigned its own subfield, since they are not the same thing as subtitles. Another person commented that the 041 field may not have enough subfields to describe all aspects of captions that we would like to record, such as different technologies that are used for producing captions. In addition, Braille may be too complex to record in the 041 field.

However, there is a strong case to be made for using this field to record the language for Described Video and captions for the hearing impaired. If there are additional details about captioning that cannot be recorded in the 041 field, one could choose to do so in a separate field.

 

It was also mentioned that inconsistent practices in legacy data may complicate the use of the 041 field. For instance, the second subfield $a used to be used for the original language of the resource, which is now recorded in subfield $h. However, one member expressed that it would still be useful to provide library users with the option of limiting by language of captioning for DVDs and Blu-rays.

 

At this point, the discussion returned to the issue of finding or creating a list of codes for sign languages. It was mentioned earlier that there is no ISO list of such codes. However, one attendee pointed out that ISO 639-3 does include codes for sign languages.

 

Playaways

 

A copy of an email from Rosemary Groenwald, the chair of the Playaways Task Force, was distributed among attendees. In this message, she raised some concerns and asked whether the Task Force should continue its work. In addition, a copy of a recent discussion on the OLAC- L email list regarding GoChip beam devices was also distributed. According to a message in this thread, GoChip devices contain “a small Wi-Fi router, rechargeable battery, and solid state storage preloaded with five feature length movies or an entire season of a television series, all enclosed in a 3.5” x 1” stick.”

 

Bruce noted that there were parallels between Playaways and GoChip beam devices, and asked whether both could be addressed in a single best practices document. One attendee expressed support for this idea, stating that there will always be people who are new to cataloging such formats and would like to be able to consult official documentation, even if it endorses what people are already doing. She also liked the idea of a general approach to applying best practices to standalone digital devices, since they should all be treated the same way. It was also observed that different formats come and go over time for such devices. Thus, a more general approach would make sense.

 

Representative Expression Attributes

 

A handout of section 5.6 of a paper on the IFLA-LRM model, “Representative Expression Attributes” was distributed among attendees. This topic came up during the 2017 ALA Annual Conference, during a special meeting with the CC:DA where representatives from various

 

 

 

specialist cataloging communities shared what they would like to see in the RDA Toolkit as part of the 3R Project.

 

Judy Kuhagan had said during this meeting that she would like to hear their feedback on representative expression attributes. OLAC is working on its response and Bruce invited attendees to share any feedback that they would like to include.

 

In the IFLA LRM model, representative expression attributes refer to characteristics that represent the canonical version of a work, which can be, but is not necessarily, its earliest or original expression. In some cases, it can be the best-known version of a work that is not the same as the original. As the paper describes, there may be other cases where these attributes can be a result of a mental process based on users’ general understanding of what the “representative expression” of a work should look like, even if they have not been exposed to the original or early manifestations of the work.

 

One such attribute is the language of the representative expression. It was mentioned that RDA and LRM do not currently provide a good way to record the original language of a film, although we can do this in MARC21. It was also pointed out that the RIMMF software, which presents a mockup interface of cataloging at different FRBR entity levels, allows users to input relationship designators at the expression level. Such information should ideally only be recorded once, instead of recording it repeatedly for each separate manifestation. Additionally, there are other expression-level attributes (e.g., color, etc.) for films, music, and possibly, art and literature, that could also potentially only be recorded once at the expression level.

 

It was noted that it may be more difficult to identify representative expressions in some cases than others. One example is of a work originally created in Ancient Greece, where there is not a specific text to refer to. Another example is of an Indian film that was simultaneously released in two different languages, and later released in additional ones. This leads to questions, such as which language it was originally intended to be in, and which versions can be considered to be translations. It was observed that the latter information is not required, so one has the option of not recording it if it cannot be determined. In this particular example, each version of a film has the same cast, but is shot in different languages. In another example, the original expression of a film may not be cataloged, and one may not have any information about the original language. In some cases, one can find this information by tracking down the original screenplay, but this is not always possible. In other cases, an Indian film may be released a day earlier in the U.S. or the U.K., before it got released in India. Finally, someone gave an example of a spaghetti western that features actors from different countries who speak their own languages during the shooting of the film. Such films are subsequently dubbed into English.

 

It was observed that most cases won’t be as complicated as these examples. It may not make sense to make representative expression attributes “core,” except in cases where they can be successfully identified.

 

 

 

At this point, Bruce invited the audience to discuss any topics of their own choosing:

 

Best Practices for Works and Expressions

 

A question was asked about whether there has been any discussion on creating a best practices guide for records at the work and expression levels. While a past task force addressed FRBR attributes for moving image works in the past, its work was more theoretical and predated RDA. In the meantime, the best practices guide for DVDs and Blu-rays are more focused on manifestations. Questions were asked about whether it would be more appropriate for the NACO AV funnel or the PCC to create a best practices document for works and expressions.

One attendee replied that this would not necessarily be the case, since the MLA has best practice documentation for creating music authority records.

 

Some potential issues that could be covered in such a document include: Where catalogers should obtain work and expression-level attributes from, how should they record this data, and whether the date of original production or the date of original release should be preferred. It was observed that reference sources may be inconsistent because they are not all referring to the same type of date. It was also commented that MARC21 may not be granular enough to distinguish between these types of dates, since subfield $k of the 130 field may include either one. Another issue has to do with films, particularly educational ones, where the only date information is the copyright date on the title frames.

 

It was pointed out that the MLA best practices documentation may apply to elements within both authority and bibliographic records. For instance, the 046 field can be recorded at either level, so the same best practice guidelines for this field would apply to either one.

 

Authorized Access Points for Motion Pictures and Television and Radio Programs

 

Appendix 1 (“Motion Pictures, Television Programs, Radio Programs) in LC-PCC PS 6.27.1.9 is still provisional. A question was asked if there are any plans to re-examine it. The PCC Standing Committee on Standards will need to review all of the LC-PCC Policy Statements when the new RDA Toolkit is made available next year. Two OLAC members, Kelley McGrath and Adam Schiff are on it.

 

The OLAC best practice guide for DVDs and Blu-rays includes instructions for recording expression-level authorized access points for dubbed versions of films (e.g., 730 02 Citizen Kane (Motion picture). $l French). Kelley McGrath stated that language expressions can be complicated for DVDs and Blu-rays, and that she did not prefer such an approach. There may be a need for better systems that can make use of language expression data, recorded in other fields such as the 041, instead of instructing catalogers to record additional authorized access points. In addition, such authorized access points were intended to facilitate browsing in OPACs, and users may not browse to obtain language information in this manner in today’s discovery systems.

 

 

 

LC Genre-Form Terms and Demographic Group Terms

 

An attendee asked whether CAPC has recently looked at the Library of Congress’ Genre-Form Term manual and checked it against OLAC’s genre-form term best practices guidelines to see if they are aligned.

 

The Library of Congress is considering the elimination of genre/form headings that begin with “Filmed” and “Televised” (e.g. “Filmed concerts,” “Televised concerts,” etc.). The idea is for headings to only describe genres or forms (e.g., “Concerts”). It was mentioned that before LC decided to split up such headings in this manner, OLAC had supported combining them into single headings (e.g., “Thrillers (Motion picture, television. etc.”). OLAC also didn’t agree some of LC’s other decisions, such as having two separate headings “Films for the hearing impaired” and “Television programs for the hearing impaired,” since they were supposed to describe expressions, and users looking for videos with special captioning would probably not care about the distinction between films and television programs.

 

A question was asked whether we can push for LC to address this issue. Janis Young, LC’s liaison to OLAC, is currently busy with preparing LC’s series of training videos at this time. For the time being, the review of demographic term proposals seems to be on hold until August of next year.

 

The Subject Analysis Committee (SAC) from ALA has decided to sunset its genre/form subcommittee. It plans to form a new one that will focus on best practices for applying faceted vocabularies. It would be good if someone on OLAC could serve on it. Attendance at ALA conferences will not be required since most of the work of this subcommittee will be accomplished online.

 

OLAC’s best practices allow us to assign terms at multiple hierarchical levels, but LC’s documentation says that we must use the most specific term. However, it still makes sense to follow OLAC’s recommendation, especially in situations when our systems don’t do a good job at referring users from one level of the hierarchy (e.g., narrower to broader terms) to the next.

 

It is not clear what demographic terms to record in the 386 field when multiple creators of a film have different nationalities. Musical compilations with multiple composers have a similar issue. One attendee stated that she preferred recording such information in authority records rather than bibliographic records. An example was described featuring a documentary on rock music that contained different individual performances that may be considered works themselves. Should there be a demographic term for the performance and/or the larger work being performed? In this particular example, some users may care only about a particular performance “snippet” and not care whether it is part of a larger work (i.e., the documentary).

 

Attendees were reminded that the subfield $i in OCLC for the 386 field will soon allow us to specify the relationship between one or more members of a demographic group recorded in

this field and the resource being described in the record. One attendee commented that she

did not think that this would be useful in a linked data world.

 

In the meantime, it was stated that LC is still approving proposals for new LCGFT terms beginning with the term “Filmed.”

The meeting was adjourned at 8:15 p.m.