OLAC Executive Board Meeting Minutes
October 20, 2011, 3:00 p.m. EST
Conference Call Hosted by OCLC
Marcia Barrett, Debbie Benrubi, Bruce Evans, Heidi Frank, Kate Leigh, Rebecca Lubas, Sevim McCutcheon, Walter Walker, Amy Weiss, Jay Weitz
2012 Conference Update – Rebecca Lubas
There is a Facebook page, OLAC 2012, for the conference. The hotel registration link is on the conference website, and people have registered already. Most of the speakers have been scheduled.
Rebecca has sent out a survey to gather interest in a workshop or preconference for maps cataloging. A two-hour workshop on maps cataloging would focus on cataloging changes related to RDA. If a maps pre-conference is offered instead, there will be a slot open for another workshop. Another possible topic for a pre-conference is the management of catalog departments/current topics in management.
There will not be a workshop that is strictly devoted to RDA, but RDA will be incorporated into most of the workshops. Workshops that have been scheduled include videos, sound recordings, Metadata/XML, e-serials batch loading, CONSER standard record for e-serials, and constructing headings in RDA. The current recipient of the OLAC Research Award, Peter Lisius, will be asked to give a paper on his research. It will be scheduled the morning of the poster sessions.
Marcia will send feedback on the 2010 Conference to Rebecca, and Rebecca will work with the Conference Planning Committee to create another survey to gauge interest for the remaining workshop space. The Planning Committee did pull workshop topics from results of the survey created by the Online/Regional Training Task Force.
There is a 3% fee for using PayPal for registration. Registration is $199 for OLAC members, $224 for non-members, and $99 for one-day attendance. Credit card payment facilitates international registration and, in some cases, reimbursement from the registrant’s institution. The Board decided that a PayPal option should be offered. We will encourage payment with check, when possible, so that 100% of the money goes to OLAC.
Rebecca’s goal is to have registration set up by the ALA Midwinter Conference and to promote the 2012 OLAC Conference then.
Upkeep/Revision of Website
As past president, Sevim is in charge of website revision. Amy recommended Sevim form a committee to discuss revision of the website.
There were no volunteers for back-up website editor. The Board agreed that the newsletter editor should have full access to updating the website; Kate will inform Teressa Keenan of this. Heidi has access to update the website as AV Glossary editor and could serve as a backup website editor. She will work with Teressa on how to edit the website.
Marcia will sort out the CAPC roster for 2009/2010 and 2010/2011 and inform Teressa of the revision for the CAPC Past Members page of the website. The Nancy Olson Award page has been updated with the latest recipient, Greta de Groat (2011).
The Board agreed that the CAPC Chair would publicize the agenda and documents for discussion on OLAC-L and the website 3 weeks before CAPC meetings. One possible revision of the website is an expansion of the CAPC webpage to reflect posting of the agenda, minutes, and related documents.
Nancy Olson Award Committee
Sevim will lead this committee and put out a call for volunteers. As the current award recipient, Greta de Groat will be a member. The committee should be composed of two other OLAC members, with no more than one who is on the Executive Board. Ordinarily, nominations are due November 1, with postmarks of November 15. Since we’ve gotten a late start, Amy proposed extending the deadline to December 31, and the Board agreed.
The announcement about the Elections Committee was late for publication in the September newsletter, but Kate has sent an updated version of the newsletter to Teressa. Amy has formed the Elections Committee on behalf of Pat Loghry who is experiencing health issues. Annie Glerum is the other member of the committee. Kate has heard from someone who is interested in running for Secretary.
Debbie will post a call for a new Outreach Coordinator on OLAC-L. Letters of interest will be sent to Amy and the coordinator will be chosen at Midwinter. The deadline for letters will be December 31st.
Call for CAPC Membership
The Board agreed to amend the Handbook to state that CAPC has 7 members (6 committee members plus the chair) and 2 interns. Katia Strieck, an intern for 2011-2012, rotated to full committee membership to fill a vacancy. The Board agreed to replace Bill Anderson who has been out of communication and hasn’t attended several meetings. Walt will ask Dawn Loomis, intern, if she is interested in full committee membership. If so, he will put out a call for 2 interns; if not, he will send out a request for 1 committee member and 2 interns.
The Board agreed to extend Walt’s appointment as chair another year for continuity. Marcia will check for 2011 applications for CAPC appointment and will see that the Handbook is updated to reflect the Board’s decision that interns need attend only one of the two annual conferences.
Marcia had sent proposed changes to the calendar portion of the Handbook to the Board via email. Most of the changes did not merit discussion. It was agreed that the Board should meet at both ALA conferences and supplement with conference calls when necessary. It was also agreed that the CAPC agenda and related documents will be distributed publicly (posted to the website and OLAC-L) 3 weeks before conferences. This change is to inform the cataloging community of CAPC activities and ensure meaningful discussion at CAPC meetings.
Marcia will revise the January portion of the calendar to separate Executive Board from Membership activities and send out to the Board for an email vote.
OLAC Research Grant Update
Amy had emailed the Board an update from Peter Lisius. He is working hard on assembling data and will have a more complete report by the end of November.
The Handbook did not address composition of Research Grant Committee, but that information is found on the Committee page of the OLAC website. The Research Grant Committee portion of the Handbook has now been updated to include committee composition. The Vice President is to be the committee chair and the previous grant winner is a member, plus 1 other member. Heidi will put out a call to OLAC-L for another committee member as well as a call for grant proposals. She will also notify Teressa about updating the website with current committee composition. Proposals are due March 1, 2012 with award notification by May 1, 2012. The grant project runs from July 1 through June 30.
Marcia will check that there are triggers in the calendar portion of the Handbook about Research Grant deadlines as well as information on the committee composition.
Liaison terms are for two years and all expire in 2011. Amy will send letters to the liaisons to ask if they will continue to serve in a liaison capacity:
- Mary Huismann – MOUG
- Cate Gerhart – MARBI
- Kelley McGrath – CC:DA
- Thelma Ross - AMIA
Janis Young is the LC representative to OLAC, and Jay Weitz is the OCLC representative to OLAC. Amy will contact the NACO AV coordinators to determine if they are still active.
Amy will also send out a call for membership on the OLAC 2012 Conference Scholarship Committee. The committee is composed of 3 OLAC members including the chair and is responsible for publicizing availability of the scholarship in the December and March newsletters and other forums.
There is a lot of information in the CAPC minutes from the ALA Annual Conference about OLAC activities. Walt proposed working on updating one guide for RDA, rather than the three guides stated in the minutes. It was agreed that the DVD/Blu-ray Discs guide should be updated first. He also proposed, and the Board, agreed to create a Task Force for RDA Revision. There is a lot of information about what OLAC should be doing in this regard in Kelley McGrath’s Report to CAPC (Annual 2011). Marcia will forward that report to the Board.
There are other task force groups that are active:
The AV Materials Glossary Task Force
Reported at Annual 2011 a number of goals they intend to accomplish by Midwinter 2012 (see CAPC minutes from Annual 2011)
LC Genre/Form Headings for Moving Images Best Practices Task Force
Reported at Annual 2011 they have updated examples in their document to reflect new coding in genre/form authority records. They plan to send the document to CAPC for email review and approval, unless CAPC determines another public review is necessary.
Video Language Coding Best Practices Task Force
Reported at Annual 2011 that they are waiting for the LC Network Development and MARC Standards Office to incorporate changes that were approved by MARBI at Midwinter 2011 (MARC Proposal 2011-01, Coding for Original Language in Field 041).
There has not been a report on the work of the 046 $k Best Practices Task Force, and the Board discussed disbanding the group. Marcia will check previous CAPC minutes to determine what the intent was for this task force.
Other CAPC discussion indicated a consensus on the need for a best practices document for Kindles and other memory devices that many libraries are circulating. Such a task force has not yet been formed.
Any task force should be chaired by a CAPC member, but CAPC can call upon outside help in forming task force membership.
Kate has been in contact with Marcy Strong, the incoming newsletter editor, and has been preparing documentation for her. Marcy is looking forward to taking on responsibility for the newsletter.
The Board agreed the Outreach Coordinator should be a voting member, rather than ex officio member. Marcia will see that the Handbook is changed to reflect this. She will send out a summary of all handbook changes to the Board for an email vote.
Executive Board will meet at 5:30 on Sunday at the ALA Midwinter Conference.